How to Get More Happiness
We all do goal setting in our day to day lives but how many of those goals benefit our own happiness? We will always have goals that we need to meet for our family, finances and in the workplace but we can’t throw our own goals aside. Especially when our own needs are on the line and effect our well-being.
Here are some of my favorite tips for incorporating happiness into your work, home and life.
Incorporate Happiness into Work
Think of areas that interest you and try to bring that interest into your everyday job duties. Make work interesting, fill it with your passions. We are so caught up in our day to day jobs that we don’t always see that there are other opportunities to incorporate our passions and try out new interests.
Here are seven ideas to get you thinking about how you can incorporate your interests into your job:
- Become a mentor to a new employee and teach them the ropes
- Become a mentor to an existing employee, help cross train and build skills
- Offer to help plan events in your department or organization
- Offer to organize a department or organization wide volunteer opportunity
- Find a 2-hour training session in your area or online to attend and offer to report back anything you learn
- Contribute to your department or organizations newsletter
- Offer to update outdated contact lists or intranet resources
These seven activities will allow you to tap into your creative and learning side. You are also bound to pick up some great new skills that can be applied to future opportunities!
It’s the best of both worlds when we can find a balance between our passions and interest, and our job.
Incorporate Happiness at Home
Before summer gets into full swing and we start to find our schedules filled with trips, parties and weddings, we should use this time to focus on making the changes we want to see in our homes.
Our homes should be a place that we enjoy coming back to at the end of the day. We should find peace and relaxation here.
So, what do you need to do to incorporate happiness at home?
Here are five ideas to get you thinking about how you can incorporate your interests into your home life:
- DIY a section of your home and include elements that would brighten you up when you see them.
- Include new artwork that speaks to your soul.
- De -clutter. Start with a room, a cabinet, a drawer – you will feel lighter!
- Get a green thumb and invite plants into your home.
- Make happy memories a part of your décor.
Somethings that I have done to make my home a happier place is to declutter the heck out of it, create a baking shelf for those moments when I get sudden urges to create something tasty and I have begun opening my blinds when I get home to let natural light in.
Choose an action that will perk you up when you are spending time at home.
Incorporate Happiness in Life
We can’t sit around and wait for happiness to find us. We must find ways to incorporate it into our every day lives.
Here are five ideas to get you thinking about how you can set your life up for happiness:
- Take a moment each day to express gratitude for all that you have in life.
- Set aside a few minutes each day to connect to something greater than yourself. This can be religious or spiritual.
- Be present. Enjoy what is happening in the moment and let the future and past remain there.
- Manage time effectively. Our schedules and how we are showing up has a huge impact on our level of happiness so prepare ahead of time and leave a few minutes earlier than you would to lessen stress and anxiety.
- Start a new impactful morning routine – a few minutes of exercise, stretching, development time or meditation.
It’s okay to have to work at it sometimes. Most of us aren’t happy ALL THE TIME. But, once we master controlling our emotions, we don’t have to depend on others for how we feel. We can be in touch with our own needs and know how to fulfill them.
The Take Away
We all have a desire to live a life that is unburdened by stress, worry, and anxiety, and be happier. Be purposeful with building happiness into your work, home and life. Control what you can to bring positive change into your life for better wellbeing.
What are some ways that you incorporate happiness into the different areas of your life? Let us know in the comments. Post a photo if you can! We love to see what you are up to.
Be sure to share with your social network too! Just hit the share button. And, leave a comment below.
Brandon and Cristal